Protect Your Skin from the Harmful Effects of the Sun this Summer
While summer might be quickly coming to an end, it is still important to take care of your skin when outside. At Affiliated Dermatologists in Morristown, NJ we want to make sure that your skin remains healthy all summer long so you can continue to enjoy trips to the beach, zoo or any outdoor activity.
Your skin is the largest organ in your body and plays a vital role in your overall health and well-being. It protects against invasive bacteria, regulates your body temperature and senses information from the stimulation of heat, cold, pressure, pain and touch. This summer it is important to protect your skin against the harmful effects of the sun, which can lead to skin cancer.
To minimize your risk of developing skin cancer, Affiliated Dermatologists, offering dermatology in Morristown, NJ, provides the following tips:
- Choose shaded areas for outdoor activities
- Avoid the sun between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. when it is the strongest
- Wear a hat, sunglasses and other protective clothing when spending long periods of time in the sun
- Always wear sunscreen with SPF of at least 15
- Avoid deliberate tanning, including tanning beds
- Visit Affiliated Dermatologists for regular skin examinations, as well as self-exams
Apart from skin cancer, UV rays can lead to premature aging, as well as macular degeneration, which is the leading cause of blindness in older adults.
The best way to detect skin cancer in its earliest stage is to examine your skin frequently—from self-exams to professional exams. At Affiliated Dermatologists, skin doctors in Morristown, NJ, we are available to show you the proper way to examine your skin and detect areas of concern. Some warning signs of cancer include:
- A sore that won’t heal
- Change in the size, color or shape of a mole
- Change in sensation of a mole, including tenderness, pain and irritation
- Change in the surface of a mole
Protecting your skin against harmful UV rays should always be part of your skin cancer prevention. If you detect anything suspicious with your moles or skin, visit Affiliated Dermatologists, Morristown, NJ skin doctors, immediately. Detecting skin cancer early is your best bet for a quick recovery.
The skin doctors of Affiliated Dermatologists offer the best in dermatology care and offer botox to the Morristown, NJ area. Call today for an appointment!