Posts for tag: Psoriasis
A dermatologist from Affiliated Dermatologists in Morristown, Mt. Arlington, and Bridgewater, NJ, can help you effectively reduce psoriasis flare-ups.
An autoimmune disorder, psoriasis causes dry, scaly, and inflamed patches of skin to develop on the body. Sometimes these patches may become so dry that they crack and bleed. If you’re dealing with psoriasis, here are some ways to reduce flare-ups,
- Manage stress
- Limit or avoid alcohol
- Quit smoking
- Eat a healthy, balanced diet
- Avoid fragrances
Since psoriasis is an autoimmune disorder, it is imperative to treat the underlying cause itself; however, our dermatologists in Morristown, Mt. Arlington, and Bridgewater, NJ, can also provide you with advice, medication, and therapies that could ease your symptoms. For example, some patients find relief by taking certain supplements such as fish oil and aloe vera. Our skin specialists can go through your medical history and determine whether supplementation could help you.
Some patients also notice positive results from light therapy, in which the skin is exposed to UV light. It is important that this type of therapy is performed by a qualified dermatologist. Going to a tanning bed or lying out in the sun could actually make psoriasis worse and is not recommended. If you’re dealing with severe and persistent psoriasis, talk to your dermatologist about the benefits of regular light therapy.
Finding the Solution for You
There is no one single way to improve a person’s psoriasis symptoms, but we will work with you to create a treatment plan that reduces your symptoms. Most treatment plans involve a mix of home care, medication, and doctor-supervised therapy. Reduce your stress, eat a nutritious diet, and ditch those bad habits, and you may just find that your psoriasis improves significantly.
With offices in Morristown, Mt. Arlington and Bridgewater, NJ, Affiliated Dermatologists is your premiere clinic offering compassionate, knowledge dermatologists and comprehensive, state-of-the-art care. Call us at (973) 267-0300 to schedule a consultation.
How your dermatologists in Morristown, Liberty Corner, Bridgewater and Mt. Arlington can help
Psoriasis is caused by your genetics, and it is an autoimmune disease that can cause red, scaly areas on your scalp, knees or elbows. There are triggers which can cause accelerated growth in your body’s skin cells. This rapid growth causes the patches on your skin. Thankfully, there is relief from psoriasis. Your dermatologists at Affiliated Dermatologists & Dermatologic Surgeons, PA in Morristown, Liberty Corner, Bridgewater and Mt. Arlington, NJ want to help you discover relief from your psoriasis symptoms.
According to the National Psoriasis Foundation, factors that can trigger psoriasis include:
- Infections, especially strep throat
- A skin injury, scratches or sunburns
- Certain medications
In addition to avoiding psoriasis triggers, there are some other things you can do to get relief from psoriasis symptoms. Remember to:
- Take baths in lukewarm water with Epsom salts
- Use oil-based or ointment-based moisturizer several times each day
Psoriasis falls into several different types depending on the percent of your body affected, each of which is treated differently:
- Mild psoriasis affects less than 3% of your body. Treatments include prescription bath solutions, moisturizing creams, topical steroid medications and other treatments which slow the growth of skin cells. Your dermatologists may also suggest light or laser therapy to reduce or eliminate psoriasis patches.
- Moderate psoriasis affects between 3% and 10% of your body; severe psoriasis affects over 10% of your body. For moderate to severe psoriasis, your dermatologists may suggest:
- Light therapy with UVB rays to reduce or eliminate psoriasis patches
- Biologic drugs to suppress the immune system in severe psoriasis cases
Don’t let psoriasis take control of your life. To find out more about caring for psoriasis, call your dermatologists at Affiliated Dermatologists & Dermatologic Surgeons, PA with offices in Mt. Arlington, Morristown, Liberty Corner and Bridgewater, NJ. Call today and get some relief from your psoriasis symptoms!