Posts for tag: skin checkup
May is officially Melanoma (Skin Cancer) Awareness Month, a time when patients who may be at risk of this skin disease are encouraged to see their dermatologist. Before you hit the beach this summer, set an appointment at Affiliated Dermatologists in Morristown, Mt. Arlington, Liberty Corner, and Bridgewater, NJ, for a skin exam.
What Is Melanoma?
Melanoma is the rarest form of skin cancer, but it can also be the most dangerous. It is caused by the growth of abnormal melanocyte cells. The cells look dark or black in color, which is why doctors suggest that patients watch moles closely. If not detected and treated quickly, the disease can spread to other parts of the body. Regular skin exams and early detection are very important. Certain people may have a higher risk of developing this disease including:
- Patients with a family history of melanoma.
- Patients who have very pale skin.
- Young adults who use tanning beds often.
- People who spend long amounts of time in direct sunlight without UV protection (sunscreen, glasses, protective clothing).
Melanoma Awareness Month
Because melanoma is best treated in the early stages, patients are reminded of the importance of seeing a dermatologist for a checkup during Skin Cancer Awareness Month. May is often the first month when patients begin to plan vacations in hot sunny locales. It is also the month when temperatures begin to rise in seasonal areas, like Morristown, Mt. Arlington, Liberty Corner, and Bridgewater.
Take Care of Your Skin
Learn how to take preventive measures to avoid skin conditions like melanoma during Melanoma Awareness Month. Actions you can take include:
- Wearing the correct sunscreen for your skin type.
- Waiting until late in the day, after 4 p.m. to go outside, or enjoy the outdoors (such as hiking) early in the morning before 10 a.m.
- Wearing a lightweight robe when relaxing by the pool to protect your skin when not swimming.
- Seeing your dermatologist promptly to examine any moles that change in appearance or other unusual skin growths.
Schedule Your Skin Checkup
It only takes a few minutes make an appointment for a skin checkup at Affiliated Dermatologists in Morristown, Mt. Arlington, Liberty Corner, and Bridgewater, NJ. Call 973-267-0300 today.