Posts for tag: healthy skin regimen
What your skin doctors in Mt. Arlington, Morristown, Liberty Corner, and Bridgewater, want you to know
Your skin plays a vital role in your health and your appearance. You can keep your skin looking good and feeling good by practicing a healthy skin care regimen. Your skin doctors at Affiliated Dermatologists & Dermatologic Surgeons in Bridgewater, Liberty Corner, Mt. Arlington, and Morristown, NJ, want to share the facts about what it takes to maintain your skin.
For daily care of your skin, you should:
- Cleanse your skin using mild cleansers without harsh chemicals. Strong cleansing agents can irritate and burn your skin, so you should stick with foaming cleansers, gels or cleansing milks.
- Pat your skin gently, leaving some moisture on your skin. Don’t rub your skin roughly.
- It isn’t necessary to use a toner if you use a pH balanced cleanser; if you do use a toner, avoid toners with alcohol because they can dry your skin.
- Apply moisturizer after cleansing. Ideally, your daily moisturizer should contain a sunscreen, at least SPF 15.
If you live in hot, sunny climates, you should:
- Always stay hydrated because water helps to keep your skin from drying out and cracking.
- Use daily sunscreen of SPF 15 or higher, and SPF 30 or higher if you spend a lot of time outside.
- Avoid getting sunburnt by staying in the shade, especially between 10 AM and 4 PM.
- Wear a hat and sunglasses when you are in the sun.
If you live in cold climates with harsh winters, you should:
- Always wear sunscreen of at least SPF 15 and SPF 30 if you spend a lot of time outside.
- Use a cream moisturizer after cleansing; avoid moisturizers with alcohol
- Avoid long, hot showers or baths because they can dry your skin.
- Always use lip balm when you are outside.
- You should also do a quick check of your skin regularly to look for any moles or areas that look abnormal. If you see any changes in color, size or shape, it’s time to schedule a visit with your skin doctor.
Regular visits to your skin doctor (dermatologist) are a vital part maintaining your healthy skin regimen. You should visit your dermatologist at least yearly, more often if you suffer from skin issues like eczema or psoriasis. For more information on how to keep your skin healthy, call your skin doctors at Affiliated Dermatologists & Dermatologic Surgeons, with office locations in Bridgewater, Liberty Corner, Mt. Arlington, and Morristown, NJ.